I spend my entire year pinning highlights of the year in my memory and thinking about what I’m going to write in this survey. I’ve been doing it every year since I was 14, with the exception of 2010 (which I still regret), so I just don’t have the heart to stop. Yeah, it’s cheesy - one of those surveys that was passed around during the heyday of MySpace - but it’s become part of my year and, in a way, part of my life.
Past years for reference:
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I was mugged, drugged, published on The Huffington Post, went to London, Paris and Boston, ate uni, unagi, oysters and foie gras for the first time, met Ian Somerhalder, went viral on Reddit, and started practicing yoga.
Not gonna lie, I’ve had a pretty stellar year.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year my New Year’s resolution was to continue pursuing what makes me happy, and I think I’ve definitely done a good job of that in the last year. I’ve also fulfilled several past New Years’ resolutions to start working out regularly and eat more healthily in this past year.
I also think I’ve done a pretty good job of keeping up with these New Year’s Resolutions for 20-Somethings, because I is a responsible grown-up nao.
My New Year’s resolutions for next year will be about the same as they’ve been in years past - to keep being healthy, to keep being happy, and to try to not be a narcissistic bitch all the time.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No one “close.”
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My grandma died this year, but I also wouldn’t consider us “close.”
5. What countries did you visit?
London, UK and Paris, France. Holla.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
My life didn’t lack anything in 2012. Though, I could probably go for a new apartment in 2013. I’m over living in an apartment the size of a large closet.
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 22nd - the day I was mugged or November 6th - election day!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I have two: 1) Being selected as one of two people at work to get sent to London, all expenses paid, or 2) Getting my writing published on The Huffington Post.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I wrote this as my answer for last year’s survey but I think it’s still pretty applicable: “Failure?”
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I’ve spent most of 2012 covered in hives about every other day due to some unknown allergy to life that I’ve yet to identify. Additionally, recovering from my wisdom teeth surgery was a pretty blah experience.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The Ray-Bans I bought while visiting New York City (they are so fucking fabulous), as well as dinner at State Bird Provisions and O Ya (top 2 meals of life, no joke).
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Also from last year, still applicable: “Um, mine. Because I’m awesome.”
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
About 95% of the Republican Party. Probably more.
14. Where did most of your money go?
My stomach. As well as to clothing/accessories/haircuts that make me look even more unapproachable and intense than I usually do - this basically entails a lot of leather, a lot of crosses and a lot of sharp things.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going to Boston and New York City to visit friends, going to London and Paris for work and for pleasure, getting published on HuffPo, and Coachella, of course.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
Happier. Always happier.
ii. thinner or fatter?
iii. richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Every year I wish I’d done a little more reading, though honestly, I’ve probably done more reading this past year than I’ve done in the last decade. I’m actually pretty satisfied with everything I’ve seen and done in the last year - a lot of loving, a lot of traveling, a lot of eating, and a lot of exercising.
I’ve had a really really great year, what can I say.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I wish I had spent less time fixating on this one specific thing that ultimately wasn’t worth the time or emotional investment.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
At home with my family, snuggling with my dog, and then eventually at my sister’s boyfriend’s family’s Christmas party. (Fun fact: my sister’s boyfriend has 12 siblings and there are over 30 grandchildren. Just picture this Christmas party in your head.)
22. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Haven’t fallen out of it since 2007.
23. How many one night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Girls. I also got into Game of Thrones and Downton Abbey this year.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate is an exhausting emotion, I don’t waste my time with it.
26. What was the best book you read?
I really liked The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and Bossypants by Tina Fey.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I was really into Gold Panda, Purity Ring, The Knocks, Walk The Moon, and Geographer this year.
28. What did you want and get?
29. What did you want and not get?
Nothing. I got all of the things this year.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On my actual birthday, I had afternoon gimlets at 83 Proof with my coworkers and then went to Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem with my coworkers and a few other friends for more drinks after work. That weekend Chris and a few other friends came to visit me and we just hung around SF, went to Bootie, drank in abundance, and partook in the usual birthday shenanigans. All in all a successful celebration of my 24th year of life.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Nothing. My year was pretty satisfying.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
This question is so stupid, but in a nutshell, how I look everyday can basically be summarized as thus: leather, boots, skinny jeans/leggings, and some kind of fetish accessory (crosses, spikes, studs, etc).
34. What kept you sane?
Chris and my journal. Per yooge.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you want the most?
The answer to this question will always be Ian Somerhalder, WHO I MET THIS YEAR AND WITH WHOM I EXCHANGED WORDS. #lifecomplete
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The 2012 election and all the fuckery spewed from idiotic Republican leaders.
37. Who did you miss?
Well, I always miss Chris, but that’s just a given. I also miss my family a lot more these days than I ever have before, probably because we all like each other now.
38. Who are cool new people you met?
Who just lists out all the “cool new people” they’ve met in the past year? Unless we’re friends, I can barely remember the people I met last month, let alone throughout the year.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012?
Don’t be an asshole. Good things come to people who aren’t assholes.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Screen falling off the door door hanging off the hinges
My feet are still sore my back is on the fringes
We were up against the wall on the west mezzanine
We rattle this town we rattle this scene
- Walk The Moon // Anna Sun