With the exception of last year, I’ve been doing this survey every year for the last 9 years. It’s weird to look back on, to hear the way my voice has changed but also hasn’t really changed. I still regret the fact that I neglected to do this survey last year, so since I have some free time, I figure I’ll just do it now.
For reference/stalking (oh look, my old Xanga for your amusement. You’re welcome):
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Switched jobs, went to Hawaii, learned how to surf and ice skate, dyed my hair, attended my first bachelorette party/wedding for a friend, and finally hit over 100 lbs (but then subsequently lost 10 lbs…oh well).
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t even remember the last time I made a New Year’s resolution, though I assume that last year I probably resolved to be healthier and go to the gym, which…well, didn’t really happen. This upcoming year my New Year’s resolution is merely to continue pursuing what makes me happy.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No one “close” to me per se, but according to my Facebook stalking, old high school acquaintances of mine continue to pop out babies.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, but someone close to me did try to commit suicide/implied she was going to commit suicide for the second time in 2 years. I’m still pretty fucked up about it, but whatever, life continues to move forward.
5. What countries did you visit?
None. My life is boring. T_T
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
My life didn’t lack anything in 2011. In the last year I’ve enjoyed a great job, an enduring love and interesting new friends. The only things I could probably stand to gain are material, but I wouldn’t say my life “lacked” them in 2011.
7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 4th, the day I quit Yelp. Following that day I enjoyed a two week vacation, part of that time at Coachella, and then started my new job. Fucking stellar.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Switching jobs (ZOMG YOU GUYS, HAVE I MENTIONED MY NEW JOB ENOUGH TIMES IN THIS SURVEY YET?!), getting a fatty raise and conquering the island of Oahu (as in, conquering the hardcore itinerary I created so that Chris and I could successfully explore the whole island in 3.5 days - not a small feat).
9. What was your biggest failure?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
This is a pretty stupid question, because seriously, who doesn’t get fucking sick at least once in the course of the year?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Roundtrip tickets to Hawaii for only $218/person! BALLIN’.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Um, mine. Because I’m awesome.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Now that I have more of a disposable income, I definitely have spent the last year spending excessive amounts of money towards building a new wardrobe. That, and food. My money always goes to food, really expensive delicious food whose full portions I can never finish.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Um, my new job. Clearly. Oh! And the free HARD concert I went to last week, courtesy of Mouth Taped Shut. Zomg, Proxy and Major Lazer = AMAZEBALLS.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
ii. thinner or fatter?
iii. richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I had read a little more this year, but honestly, I’ve probably done more recreational reading in the last year than I did all through college. I also wish I’d done more creative stuff, I miss making collages and dabbling in graphic design.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Interesting, I can’t think of anything I wish I’d done less of. I feel like my 2011 was a pretty successful year.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
In Hayward at my uncle’s house, hearing gossip about my extended family’s surprisingly slutty history, gorging on Filipino food, bonding with relatives, etc. etc. You know, the way most people spend Christmas (I’m assuming)?
22. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Stayed in love.
23. How many one night stands?
None. Homie don’t play like that.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
This year’s season of So You Think You Can Dance was definitely the best one yet, I can’t even fathom how next year will top it. I’m almost caught up with Breaking Bad, which of course, is an amazing show. Also really into American Horror Story because it’s fucked up and disturbing and exactly the kind of shit I’m into. Typical.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No. I haven’t really “hated” anyone in years, it’s just wasted energy.
26. What was the best book you read?
Hmmm. The Millennium Trilogy definitely ranks among the best books I read this year, though I also really enjoyed The Time Traveler’s Wife, The Devil in the White City, and The Hunger Games.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Miike Snow, Phantogram, The National, The xx, and The Naked and Famous played on heavy rotation this past year.
28. What did you want and get?
Sigh. A new job. You totally saw that coming. Also, space.
29. What did you want and not get?
Is it obnoxious to admit that I usually get what I want? I mean, I don’t really “want” very much to begin with, so I feel like the karmic balance of the universe usually tips in my favor.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
David Fincher’s version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was stellar, but I might just be thinking of it because I saw it recently. Other great movies I saw this year: Drive, Blue Valentine, Midnight in Paris, Beginners.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I can’t remember what we did during the day, but for dinner Chris and I went to Poesia, which was totally fucking underwhelming and I would not recommend it to anyone. Ugh, I’m still pretty bitter about it. Afterwards we went home, watched No Strings Attached and snuggled. Pretty anticlimactic way to commemorate my 23rd year of life, but my birthdays usually are.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Can’t think of anything. I’ve had a pretty satisfying year.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
I always think this question is ridiculous, like, seriously? My “fashion concept”? Though my year in clothes can pretty much be summed up as thus: skinny jeans, boots of some kind, hoodie + leather jacket. My style hasn’t changed much in the last 4 years.
34. What kept you sane?
My journal, friends, and daily walks though San Francisco.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you want the most?
Guh, Ian Somerhalder. Still my ideal guy.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The Occupy Movement. I don’t really feel the need to get into this with more detail.
37. Who did you miss?
It’s almost too easy to say that I miss Chris, but yes, I’ve missed him since being in a long-distance relationship. However, for the most part, I’m pretty fucking independent these days.
38. Who are cool new people you met?
My coworkers, and I don’t know, some other people? It seems weird to list out “cool new people” I’ve met in the last year.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011?
Do what makes you happy.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“We’re all young and naive still
We require certain skill
The motive changes like the wind
Hard to control when it begins
The bittersweet between my teeth
Trying to find the in-between
Fall back in love eventually
Yeah yeah yeah yeah"
: The Naked and Famous // Young Blood